Sunday, May 27, 2007

Current tool list

Here is what I have tool wise when I start building my shop:

The core of my shop is definitely my tablesaw. I have a Ridgid 3612, which is a 10" contractor saw. I got one of the last 'Emerson' saws before Ridgid switched production to Taiwan, renaming the saw to the 3650.

I have 1/2 of the planer/jointer combo; a Dewalt DW 734 lunchbox planer. Portable to a point, that sucker weighs in at 80 some odd pounds. Great tool, and I'm looking forward to many more years of service from it. I hope to get a jointer sometime before the snow flies again, but that's another story.

I have a Delta 12" benchtop drill press. at 1am on this sunday morning, the exact model number eludes me. It is a nice unit, complete with geared table height adjustment. I picked it up used from a fellow Creeker last spring. Unfortunately it went straight into my storage unit and I've yet to be able to use it.

I have a Delta 10" CMS, which I bought several years ago, though it has very little use on it because my partner had a SCMS already set up. I like having the CMS as a chop saw, and it will be featured in the new shop until/unless I sell it and get a SCMS, (not likely, so until It breaks expect it to be around when you visit)

I have a PC router combo set, the old 691PSK pack, variable speed 2hp unit using the classic porter cable 690 motor and base system. again, very little use on it, expect it to be around a long time. I also have a Ryobi cordless laminite trimmer. I received the 5 tool 18v system, and found that there was a laminate base available which uses the same batteries, so I picked one up last summer. One of the new shop projects will be to build a router table insert for my ultimate tool stand system.

As I mentioned I have a Ryobi multi tool 18v system, drill/driver, recip saw, 5 1/2" circ saw, flashlight and 'vacuum'. My Dad gave me those plus a cordless Rotozip style tool when he upgraded, I've barely used them though I expect they'll come in handy in the new shop.

My favorite drill/driver is my Black and Decker Firestorm 18v. NOt too heavy, but more than powerful enough for my hobbyist shop. At just under $50 it is a solid performer. Perhaps someday I'll need to upgrade and then I'll look at PC or Dewalt for a drill/driver, but not any time soon. I also have a 12v homeowner grade unit, which needs new batteries. Those batteries plus the Ryobi kit's batteries are going to be shipped out to be rebuilt later this week.

I have a PC ROS which is also new this past year. I expect to get lots of sanding done with that once the shop goes up.

I have a 70's or early 80's era Craftsman CS which is a heavy duty unit. It probably could use a cord refit, but it works just fine.

I built two benches when John and I had our shop together, They're currently disassembled and ready to be rebuilt when there is a space for them. I would like to modify one of them into more of a woodworking unit, with a pair of vices etc... that may or may not come to fruition later this fall.

I have a 3/4 horse '650' cfm Jet dust collector. It barely keeps up with my tablesaw OR planer, but definitely not both. I will be upgrading that later this year as well, but it functions for the moment.

I have assorted hand tools, clamps and such, plus levels, measuring devices and so forth. Now I just need a place to put all of them.

3 comments:

bobpres said...

Hi Ned. I was hoping you could help me. I found a posting of yours in another forum where you mentioned having the plans to the Ultimate Tool Stand. I have found the original article, but was looking for a cutting diagram and/or more in-depth instructions. I think it might be difficult to work from the article, although it could be done. Was the article all you used to build yours? Thanks, bobpres

Ned B said...

Bob,
I haven't built the entire toolstand, just a version of the top, but yes, I worked from the original article. If you have an archived copy (which is what I have, as I never subscribed to american woodworker when the article was originally published) that's about as good as you're going to find. you might want to do a quick google on the subject, plenty of folks have built the UTS and modified/improved upon the original design. hope this helps and thanks for checking out the blog!

bobpres said...

Thanks for your help. I have found the article. I was just hoping for a better cutting diagram and or more in-depth instructions. (I'm still a beginner...)

Thanks again!
Bob